Frequently Asked Questions


Wondering how the new Hilltops Council will affect you?

We have listed some of the more common questions below. If you have any other questions that are not answered here, please get in touch.

Can I pay my rates at any former Council shop front?

Your rates notice will list the available payment methods, including the online payment facility at the relevant council website, BPay or phone. If preferred, you can also pay your rates at any of the customer service counters in Boorowa, Harden and Young.

Are my rates going up?

For the next four years, residents of the new Hilltops Council will pay no more for their rates than they would have under their old Council, due to the NSW Government’s rate protection commitment. There is still the possibility that some people’s rates will go up by more or less than others. This has always been the case as rates are dependent on relative land values.

What is the new Council website?

The new Hilltops Council website is

What are the Customer Service Centres enquiry numbers?

Please refer to the contact page to find the customer service numbers for the various centres.

Will there be public Council Meetings and where will they be held?

Council Meetings will be open to the public. The 2016 dates, locations and minutes can be found here.

How can I participate?

Community engagement will play a key role in the new Council and a range of channels will be used to provide further detail.

Where do I lodge a Development Application?

Development Applications can be lodged at any of the customer service counters in Boorowa, Harden and Young.

What are the planning controls for my area?

Planning controls have not changed. Please refer to the site specific information for Boorowa, Harden and Young.

Will my bins get collected?

It will be business as usual for residents. The delivery of key services, such as rubbish collection will continue in the same way. If bin collection days do change you will be notified by us.

Changes to Young Area Garbage Collection – July 2016

What happens with existing contracts, leases, and licences?

Existing contracts, leases, and licences roll over to the new entity.