Irish Woolfest-goers are being encouraged to start thinking now about their travel plans to this year’s event, with Hilltops Council offering a shuttle bus service for the first time, to ferry passengers from various locations throughout the region to the celebrations.
General Manager Anthony McMahon said Council is providing the bus as a means of opening-up the entire Hilltops area to the benefits the renowned Irish Woolfest provides to the local economy.
“In order to truly capitalise on the influx of visitors, Council is for the first time this year, providing a shuttle bus service to and from the event from a number of key locations across the area. This will help expand opportunities for local businesses throughout the entire Hilltops region and ensure we leverage the event in a way that maximises the benefits it brings,” Mr McMahon said.
Mr McMahon said those heading to Boorowa in private vehicles should be aware of various road closures and detours planned for the Boorowa CBD during the festivities.
“There are a number of temporary road closures set-down for the weekend; closure times and locations vary but the main one for anyone heading to or through Boorowa on Sunday 1 October will be the closure of Marsden Street, from Jugiong Street to Brial Street from 6:00am to 6:00pm,” Mr McMahon said.
“Some parking restrictions will also be in place, with disabled parking available at St Patrick’s Church,” he said.
The following roads will be closed during the Irish Woolfest celebrations:
- Scott Street between Queen Street and Lachlan Valley Way from 6am to 6pm on 1 October 2017;
- Pudman Street between Scott Street and Marsden Street 6:00pm 30/09/2017 to 6:00pm 1/10/2017;
- Pudman Street from Marsden Street to Market Street 6:00am to 6:00pm 1/10/2017;
- Marsden Street between Jugiong Street and Brial Street 6:00am to 6:00pm 1/10/2017 for through traffic, parking vehicles will be directed to parking areas;
- Queen Street from St Patrick’s Catholic Church to Market Street 8.00pm 30/9/2017 to 6:00pm 1/10/2017; and
- Park & Stevenson Streets between Brial and Pudman Streets ‘residential traffic only’ 6.00am to 6.00pm 1/10/2017.
The following detours will be in place:
- From Yass: right into Jugiong Street, left into Market Street, right onto Pudman Street, left onto Court Street, left into Brial Street and right onto Lachlan Valley Way, 6:00am to 6:00pm 1/10/2017; and
- From Cowra: left into Brial Street, right into Court Street, right onto Pudman Street, left onto Market Street, right onto South Street and left onto Lachlan Valley Way, 6:00am to 6:00pm 1/10/2017.
Parking in Marsden Street and some side streets including Queen, Scott and Pudman from midnight Saturday 30 September until 6:00pm Sunday 1 October will be prohibited due to the scheduled event.
More information on road closures and the Council’s shuttle bus service can be found at: www.irishwoolfest.com.au
Media Contact: Anthony McMahon, Hilltops Council – 02 6380 1200.