A pipe blockage on the Young sewerage system has overflowed causing a discharge of untreated sewage into the Garibaldi Gully creek system.
There has been limited discharge to the creek system. However, warning signs advising the public to avoid contact with the water have been placed in the area.
Council’s Pollution Incident Response Management Plan (PIRMP) has been activated.
Council Staff are currently:
- cleaning up the effects of the overflow at the site
- implementing a sampling and testing program downstream of the spill area to determine if the untreated sewage has flowed out of the spill area
It is expected that the predicted rainfall will flush the spill area and dilute untreated sewage.
As a precaution, Council advises the public to avoid the creek system in the following areas during the rainfall period:
- Garibaldi Gully behind the Young Showground
- Victoria Gully from Garibaldi Gully Bridge to Lachlan Street
- Burrangong Creek from Lachlan Street through town
Council will further advise when the sampling and testing program indicates there is no longer any impact on the creek flows.