Food safety
Hilltops Council is appointed as an Enforcement Agency by the NSW Food Authority. This enables the NSW Food Authority and Hilltops Council to work together under the system known as the Food Regulation Partnership.

Under the Food Regulation Partnership, Council maintains the responsibilities to routinely inspect retail food premises and to investigate any concerns raised regarding any food activity within the Council.

Council’s Environmental Health Officers are available to offer professional advice and instruction on food safety matters. They can be contacted on (02) 6380 1200.
Food Information Sessions for not-for-profit Sporting and Community groups
Periodically, Council may provide information sessions on Food Safety to not-for-profit sporting and community group organisations. If you would like Council staff to undertake an information session on Food Safety, please contact Council’s Environmental Health Officer on (02) 6380 1200. 
Food Safety Information sessions conducted by Council is aimed at sporting and community groups that are currently not legislated to hold Food Safety Supervisor Certification under the Food Act 2003. Therefore, Council Food Safety Information Sessions is not a certified Food Safety Supervisor course.
Food Safety Supervisor
The Food Act 2003 requires certain food businesses in the NSW hospitality and retail food service sector to have at least one trained Food Safety Supervisor.
The Food Safety Supervisor requirement applies to retail businesses who process and sell food (prepare and serve) that is:
  • ready-to-eat
  • potentially hazardous (i.e. needs temperature control)
  • NOT sold and served in the supplier's original package.
If you wish to clarify whether your business requires a Food Safety Supervisor, please contact Council.
Registered Training Organisations that offer the Food Safety Supervisor course can be found here.
Food Information Fact Sheets
For more information on food safety, the NSW Food Authority’s food handling fact sheets are available for download here.
Starting a Food Business
There are many things to consider when starting your own food business. It is strongly recommended to contact Council early with your plans to determine what approvals will be required.
Standards for food premises and equipment
Food premises must comply with Food Safety Standards 3.2.3 of the Food Standards Code.

Registration of Food Businesses
Council’s forms for the registration of new businesses are available by contacting Council.

Temporary Food Premises
A temporary event is any occasion which is not permanent and where food is sold to consumers. Examples include fairs, festivals, markets and shows. 

All temporary food stalls will need to comply with the requirements of Guidelines for food businesses at temporary events  as detailed by the NSW Food Authority. The guideline advises of legal obligations, basic construction requirements and suggest ways on to maintain food safety at the event. 
In many circumstances, a temporary food business may be required to train and appoint a Food Safety Supervisor. If you are unsure whether you will be required to appoint a Food Safety Supervisor, please contact Council.